Friday, September 25, 2015

After 16 Years As a Customer Sprint Slaps Me With $200 Early Termination Fee

I was a Sprint customer of almost sixteen 16 years with great account history. In March of this year I changed my phone to a Samsung5s.

I was on a month to month plan because my two year contract had finished and according to all the Sprint Reps I was grandfathered into the plan i had. In March of this year I bought a Samsung 5s.

I was told by the customer service agent in Woodbridge, Va. Specifically that after paying for the phone to 24 months I will have the option to keep it and or upgrade to the latest phone of my choice.

Please remember that I have no two year contract with Sprint and I am paying for service plus the phone. Our family moved to Blacksburg and to lower the cost I tried asking sprint if I can bring two other lines to Sprint and the best plans for doing so. The plans the advertised were somehow not available to existing customers and only for new one.

I can understand that and respect that.  Because I was unable get a better plan for my wife and son through sprint we decided that we will go to Verizon with my wife's plan with an increase of only twenty five dollars and I can get a blackberry z30 which is what wanted in the first place. According to my sprint paper work the total I owed to sprint if i remained with them for my phone was $508.

I have no problem with it. In fact before changing to Verizon I called Sprint on three different occasions and asked specifically that if I were to move away from sprint what would I owe, and they stated that I would only have to pay the remaining amount for my phone lease which in August 2015 was about $399.

Once again, I had no problems with it and just to let you know I recorded two of the three calls just to make sure.  In all three calls the answer was the same, I would owe $399 to payoff my lease.

Well long story short, I did change to Verizon, as soon as that happened i received a bill from Sprint in the amount of  $732. 

After digesting this for a day I called sprint for an explanation and all I got from them was not only I will owe the $399. but they also tagged another $200 for the buying option at the end of my lease.

Please remember the $200 was an option to buy after the lease is over. The Samsung phone is not even worth that price when I bought it in March. I have asked to speak with a supervisor but to this day all I get is customer service and have start from the beginning every time.

I want to pay the $399 I owe no problem but I refuse to pay the additional $200 for a possible option to purchase at the end of the lease. If someone at Sprint can please help me resolve this issue I will be grateful. I had almost 16 years of great relationship with Sprint and would hate to end this in this manner.

Thank you for letting my vent my complaint.

Do you need to vent about a business? Submit your complaint here.